The most disappointing Samson "National Retreat" for Rob was one of the first, if not the first, I ever attended. The year was likely 2017, and it was during the autumn month of November. The setting was a state park in middle Tennessee (not too far outside of Nashville). Originally, this "National Retreat" was touted as a "Samson leadership retreat" with the focus being Samson brothers interested in / currently hosting meetings.
The reason for this was the primary focus of this particular national Samson event was to introduce the notion of launching virtual Samson meetings via Zoom or whatever platform was available back in the day (2018).
The disappointment came from who I ended up having to room with (we were housed in a motel wing that was attached to the State Park Lodge building). At the very last minute, a certain in-person Samson brother agreed to attend (at the behest of my Silas), and off the four of us went. Upon our arrival, I swallowed my anger and compliantly chose to room with this loser.
It's actually quite commendable that I ever returned after this frustrating National Samson Retreat. Especially considering that everyone else within the local Samson community hung up their hats - mostly for good - pertaining to this annual event. Which, of course, left me on my own to attend throughout the years going forward.
-------------------------
Over the past two years, I've taken control of my roommate situation (I gave up on the bunkhouses in '23), but last year resulted in me quickly realizing that year two would be it for me and a similarly unique (weirdo) Samson brother (from the Deep South) sharing sleeping quarters.
-------------------------
4-5 years ago, a dear friend (he being more close to me than I to him) from GA drove over to Eva, TN, having agreed to attend that year's National Retreat. He chose to stay offsite in some sort of state park cabin. I came to find out later that he spent the majority of his time at the cabin texting / talking to his wife in light of him being far more comfortable with her than (strange, foreign) Samson guys (or really any guys, for that matter). What a disappointment it was to find that out.
Nonetheless, we remained friends until earlier this year.
-------------------------
When I was a high school student, I was active in our church's youth ministry. And I was so because I immediately understood its finite specialness (very, very few adolescents had access to what I was privileged to be a part of). Therefore, every summer, attending the youth summer trip was nonnegotiable for Rob. Specifically, I did this because I knew there were only so many opportunities therein. Because I was such the anomaly within that group (persona, school, demographic), I often ended up assigned to summer trip room with the other freaks. And I grew to love it. They were so much fun to bunk with! Plus, there's simply always been a place in my heart for the inevitable weirdos.
My wife was one of those. That's one of the many reasons I was attracted to her as both a friend and a lover. She was just so weird (& thankfully still is).
-------------------------
At last year's Summit, in light of my then desire to find "a new roommate direction" going forward, I took it upon myself to plan WELL IN ADVANCE of '26 by hastily asking a new friend (who I met during the first day at the NM Summit) about rooming together in '26. What was hysterical regarding this desperate attempt was my new friend was an exceedingly obvious cool kid (great looking, upper class demographic, straight, etc.) who was not at all comfortable committing as such so far in advance (much less with Rob)!
Thankfully, earlier this year, my (weirdo!) Silas agreed to take this big man on campus' position. This will amount to such the blessing.
-------------------------
I'm excited too about visiting Michigan. I love and have almost always loved automobiles. Visiting Motor City will no doubt be a treat in that regard. Too, traveling through Ann Arbor (home of Car & Driver) will be special and symbolic.
Attending the Samson Summit this year will represent a true leveling up for Rob. Partly because Samson is at a juncture that's destined to position itself well for another decade (at least), and having embraced the virtual community to the degree that I have (since December '21), I feel 100% "part of the team" versus the gay guy from Mississippi who's only involved due to his internal dedication / commitment.
-------------------------
A month or so ago, I had a Samson brother decouple from me as his Silas. And though that's not unusual / inevitable, due to our VERY short tenure as Silas / Silee, I have to admit that it was jarring. And especially so from the standpoint that I'd been experiencing (immediately prior to his decoupling) an annual (vocational) stress / shame conundrum (2+2=5).
This brother was no doubt hiding something to have aborted, but it still felt like a "this is all my fault" gut punch. Silas / Silee relations need to gestate properly in order for the true benefits / measured latitudes to be reaped. Nonetheless, between the two of us, that simply wasn't to be.
Last night, out of the blue, I was asked to be the Silas of a man I haven't spoke with since late summer. He happened to be part of one of my newcomers meeting "classrooms" earlier this year, and though we'd only had one follow up meeting (at my request due to his unique roots), there was zero commitment going forward. And this young man is absolutely out of my league, yet due to my sincerity / care, that seems to be of no consequence. As such, I'm hopeful going forward for connecting with a man who's that much potential truly is breathtaking to think through.
I'm very blessed to be a part of this parachurch ministry. It's very exhausting but never not worth it. For me, it truly feels / demands similarly as family does.
No comments:
Post a Comment